Skip to main content

Stupid Ultimate Hero


Luke 12:13-21 13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” 15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’
18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ 21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

     Jesus tells us to watch out and to be on our guard against all kinds of greed. (More about greed here.) Jesus reminds us life does not consist of what you possesses. The rich man, in the story Jesus tells in Luke 12, was a farmer. I must admit that I did not grow up on a farm. However, I do know some farmers and have helped some farmers with their work and it is hard work. So the farmer in Jesus' story would have also been a hard worker. There are many that know first hard how hard farming can be. Farmers are up early often before the sun. Farmers go to bed late. Farmers are not known as lazy but known for the long hours and hard work. So the guy in the story of Luke 12 is a farmer and thus we know that he is a hard worker.
     For many this hard working farmer in Luke 12 is the ultimate hero. He was a hard worker and not timid about getting his hands dirty or putting in long hours. He worked hard and his hard work paid off by producing a bumper crop. Because his hard work produced a bumper crop he had to tear down his old barns and buld new barn. The farmer had to go out and hire more help. For many this farmer is the ultimate hero.
     This hard working farmer could have been president of the local rotary club. Perhaps he would have been asked to run for Mayor or city counsel. He would be hailed as a civic and buisness leader. He would be an example for parents to point out to their children. He would be an inspritational success story of how hard work pays off.
    God looks at this situation and calls the farmer an idiot or a person who acts without reflection. Jesus says for those that store up stuff for themselves and are not rich toward God this is what can happen to you. You will gain all kinds of stuff yet none of that stuff will gain you one more second of life. Jesus leaves us all with a choice to make. Who is our master? Is it God or is it money?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is 666 all about?

There are a lot of things that can totally creep us out. Certain foods. A dark hallway. Halloween night with a full moon. Watching a fast food worker cough into their hands and then use their hands to wrap up your burger. Clowns. People who have way too many cats. Lots of stuff creep us out.  For many the number 666 is creepy. The number is often connected to the Devil, evil happenings or viewed as a bad omen. A few years ago I was doing some visiting rounds as a hospital chaplain. I visited a man who was in room 6XX. The hospital knew that people were creeped out by the number 666 so they changed the room number to 6XX. As I visited with the man in the room he informed me that he was a good Baptist, had been going to church for years, and was mad. I mean he was really mad.  He expressed his great displeasure at being in “the Devil’s room.” He got loud, so loud that I am sure the people at the other end of the hallway could hear him. He had quickly figured out that 6XX was rea...

Battle Fatigue? Try Peace

I heard a story about a church minister that had put on a marriage seminar. One of the skills that the minister taught the couples in attendance was reflective listening. It is a method of listening to what someone is saying and then reflecting or repeating what you heard the speaker say back to them. It is a slow and methodical way for couples to communicate. Yet it can be highly effective, especially if things between the couple are tense emotionally. Once the minister explained the skill he then asked the couples to practice. After a few moments one of the guys spoke up and said “I don’t think this is going to work for my marriage.” The minister replied “Why not?” The gentleman explained, “This seems nice and all but when I fight I just want to have a fight.” That’s fair. There is some emotional release in fighting. A good fight can make us feel alive and vigorous. Sometimes a fight can remind us about the things that are meaningful and important to us. Anger isn’t always bad. It is...

You can always stop Barabbas

So why release Barrabas instead of Jesus?      “Very simple: if you let Barabbas go, you can always stop him. The most Barabbas will do is go out, round up another bunch of guerrillas and start another riot. And you will always stop him by rolling your tanks into his neighborhood, bringing out the National Guard and putting his riot down. Find out where he is keeping his ammunition. Raid his apartment without a search warrant and shoot him while he is still asleep. You can stop Barabbas.      But how do you stop Jesus? They took and nailed him to a cross. But they did not realize that, in nailing Jesus to the cross, they were putting up on that cross the sinful nature of all humanity. As Christ was nailed to the cross, it was more than just a political radical dying; he was God's answer to the human dilemma. On that cross Christ was bearing in his own body my sin, and he was proclaiming my liberation on that cross. And on that cross he shed his ...